I started to blog in 1993. Our group had invented Facebook, MySpace, Twitter, Linkedin, MSN, ICQ all together in a concept called CTI (in french « Club des Têteux d’Internet » or the closest translation « Internet Nerd Club »).
Basically, we used the internet (that even was not existing by this name) to exchange our live stories, our jokes, our mutual events, etc.
Our social reach was not very wide however it did serve its purpose: To communicate.
Our group was create « spontaneously » and actors were very active.
Then came America Online, ICQ, MSN, Blogger, WordPress, MySpace, LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook and now Google Plus (to name a few and more or less in that order). Oh yeah, I almost forgot: the cell phones and more: the Smartphones!
I’ve been asking my self lately why am I blogging on a personal level? First, I don’t have that many readers. I certainly don’t look forward to make money out of it. I am not a « Chris Brogan » nor a « Julien Smith« , two very talented writers. And I don’t have that much time between work, family, etc.
So here is my top 10 personal reasons why I will continue my blog:
- It gives me a platform to write down and share my ideas (it is certainly easier to use WordPress or Blogger than to write in HTML)
- It’s written on the internet so it’s stays there forever (as long as I continue to pay my GoDaddy’s subscription!)
- Eventually, people will start to understand that a Social Network is NOT Television (Please leave a comment, Share your thoughts, Start a blog or just go play outside it’s good also)
- Who knows, maybe I will do like the others and write a book out of my blog (I have a nice section on Cooking Recipes if you are blog post gives a sense of depth to an idea (compare to the spontaneity of Facebook or Twitter)
- It’s fun.
- Nobody should complain when it’s a free advise (although it’s tough to keep the rhythm)!
- It leaves a sort of legacy to my daughters
- To be determined
- Tell me one reason
Here are some blog written by friends of mine. I invite you to go read them and subscribe as well:
- fredericgonzalo.com (Special thanks to you because you gave me this post idea at first!, and find out how you will plan your next trip)
- 36525daystolive.com (looking for time, that’s the place to go!)
- parkaavenue.blogspot.com (how cool is your style? Go find out what real style is there!)
- lsdmontreal.blogspot.com (well, it’s just my soccer league blog, nothing to fancy, just be on time for the game and at the « beer » after)
- inoveryourhead.net (one inspirational blog for me, and for you I am sure)
- www.sergecaouette.com (Well, everyone has to start at some point, With great contents and good ideas, this one seems promising I’ll tell you that!)
- www.marieevelanthier.com (go leave a message, it’s a gift and you should do it for your kids as well, update: octobre 2011, she has started her own blog! wow!)
- www.amelielanthier.com (go leave a message, it’s a gift and you should do it for your kids as well)
- fulgurobouffe.wordpress.com (They save your life, one meal at a time!)
- jeanfrancoisfortier.com (He’ll tell you all about the music, make you listen good music and might teach you how to play the guitar while at it!)
- If I missed/forgot your blog, tell me about it